Health Insurance for Crohns Disease Patients

Having Crohn's Disease means you can't get health insurance unless you work for a large company with lots of employees.

And considering how often you need to see a doctor, need prescription drugs, and possibly one or more operations, not being covered is a very stressful situation.

A large company with lots of employees can spread the costs of someone with Crohn's Disease over a large number of people. Small companies cannot afford to do it.

Millions of people are either self-employed or work for a small company. They do not have medical insurance. What are they to do?

Before I tell you about an alternative, it's important to note that if you are covered now through a company with 20 or more employees, and something happens, and you have to leave the company, remember COBRA.

COBRA allows you to continue the company's health insurance for awhile after you leave. It's not cheap, but at least you're still covered while you look for another place of employment. Click here for more information on COBRA.

data-custom-mark="true"There is an alternative.

You can get a Health Benefits Card. A Health Benefits Card gets you discounts at thousands of doctors, most hospitals, prescription drugs, and more. And these benefit plans are not expensive.

If you cannot get insurance, you might as well have the costs related to your disease be as low as possible. (Just saving on your prescriptions will probably save you the cost of the cards, and more.)

One of the features of the cards that I like is being able to talk to a registered nurse at any time of the day. Seven days a week. You have a question about a flare-up, it's 3:00 am, and you can call and talk to a registered nurse.

You can pay as little as $29.99 per month and this covers your entire family. And the really good news is there are no restrictions on preconditions and you can cancel at any time.


Getting disability and having Crohn's Disease do not mix easy. It can depend on the state you live in and more. And you'll probably need to get a lawyer.

I think the best I can do for you is to give you a link to the web page that The Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America has put together.

Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.